Monday, December 26, 2011

The Kite Runner

 I had literally five minutes to spare when I dashed into the library. I handed in my due books and grabbed a few books on the library display section, one being THE KITE RUNNER by KHALED HOSSEINI. The only reason I took it, was that I liked the title of the book.

I don't often have the time to sit and read a book, and many of those I do read are just so-so, a nice easy read. Every now and then, I might come across a good read, one that grabs you and you remember the author's name for when you next go back to the library, but its been a very long time since I have read a brilliant book.

The Kite Runner, is such a book. Its a brilliant read. It is written so well and this is what makes the author so good. I have read many "best selling" authors, but few have been written as well as "The Kite Runner".
Its not a "nice" book. You don't put it down feeling all warm and glowing afterwards, like a romantic novel, and besides, this book is far from romantic. I cant say I particularly liked the main character, as he is a weak character, but this is what makes for a great book.

The Kite Runner is a novel about friendship, betrayal, and the price of loyalty. It is about the bonds between fathers and sons, and the power of their lies. Written against a history that has not been told in fiction before, The Kite Runner describes the rich culture and beauty of a land in the process of being destroyed. But with the devastation, Khaled Hosseini also gives us hope: through the novel's faith in the power of reading and storytelling, and in the possibilities he shows for redemption.

No comments: